Wednesday, October 20, 2010

The Immortals

What is arguably my favorite band, Kings of Leon, released its new (fifth!) album, Come Around Sundown, yesterday. 


Quick anecdote: I throw the little fact about the fifth album in there because last month I was talking to my friend, W, about how I was seeing KOL in concert (yesss, they were amazinggg). I thought it was strange their show was on a Monday, but figured it might be to control the level of belligerency when people left the venue. She suggested it was because they're a newer band so maybe they wouldn't draw as large a crowd as a Friday or Saturday show would. So you see (fifth album!), they are not new. When I started loving them in the summer of 2007 thanks to my friend James playing Youth & Young Manhood in our shared office space at work, that album (their first) was actually released in 2003!


Anyways, I hadn't gone to a store in years to actually buy an album. Seriously, I think the last time I'd bought a hard copy was John Mayer's Heavier Things when I was a freshman in college. So I bought the Deluxe version of the album and was so giddy getting in my car to put it into my CD player and listen immediately. I then brought it home and played it through my BluRay player so I could hear it as loud as possible. I listened to every song while reading the lyrics that came with the album.


One song particularly touched me. It's track 6, "The Immortals." I saw a video interview with lead singer Caleb Followill, and he said he wrote the song imagining what he'd like to tell his future children. His fiancee cried the first time he read the lyrics to her. I didn't cry upon hearing it or anything, but its message resonated within me.


To me, the song is a reminder that life is fleeting. You don't get much time as it is here, so why waste it being fearful? If something isn't working for you, keep moving. Don't spend time trying to fix something that's not fixable. Or maybe it is fixable, but it's really not worth your time to fix it anyways. Prioritize.


I'm going to hope to make my priority in life this line: "Don't forget to love before you're gone."


Here's the song on YouTube if you want to give it a listen:



2 comments:

  1. I loved reading through all your posts! You should write a book some day... and I'm going to go buy it at the bookstore and get into my car giddily and make someone drive me so I can start it on the way home. :))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha, thank you Melissa!! I hope the scenario you just laid out happens as well, and we can be giddy together that it came true!

    ReplyDelete