Monday, April 11, 2011

10 minute recipe

I think I'll call this: Smokey Hash with Eggs


Ingredients:
1 small sweet potato
1/4 15 oz. can black-eyed peas
1-2 eggs
Goat cheese (optional)
Salt
Pepper
English muffin (optional)


To make a long story short, I had a can of black-eyed peas that were smoked and they were supposed to go into a fresh salsa with balsamic vinegar, so I knew that would not work out at all. I didn't want to throw them away, so I thought of what else I could make with smokey beans.


I rummaged through my cabinet and found some sweet potatoes I bought from the farmer's market late last summer(!!). Good thing potatoes are meant to be stored in pantries over the winter. I steamed one of the sweet potatoes and then mashed it. I added the black-eyed peas and mashed them all up too. I tried to get it crispy in the pan with some butter.


I put the mashed part on a plate and mixed in a couple dollops of goat cheese. I made a fried egg to go on top, but you could totally do this with scrambled eggs if you prefer. I sprinkled on some sea salt and cracked some fresh pepper over the top and served with an English muffin. 


If you want, you can add salsa to this for more veggies! And it's great for breakfast and/or dinner.


I wish I'd taken a photo, but I didn't... but when I make it again, I will!

1 comment:

  1. This sounds fun and yummy!! I would never think to add goat cheese, sweet potatoes, and black eyed peas together! I will have to try it one day if I accidentally get a can of smoked black eyed peas (;

    ReplyDelete