Monday, April 18, 2011

I made a green monster

I've been making smoothies since eighth grade. My brother and I would come home from school and make a strawberry smoothie (frozen strawberries, banana, o.j.) and have a piece of rye toast while we watched TV.

Over the years, I've expanded my smoothie repertoire... peaches, mangoes, kiwis, any fruit really is up for a blend. I started adding protein powder and soymilk (organic only!) so I could make post-workout recovery shakes. I'd read about adding spinach for a vitamin boost (and again more recently from my friend Melanie's blog) but just never did it... until today! It's true that it really doesn't change the flavor at all.

I never measure anything, so just eyeball it as you toss this all in your blender:

-- Frozen mango chunks (a handful or so)
-- Organic low-fat yogurt (a couple spoonfuls)
-- Organic frozen spinach (a handful or a couple shakes out of the bag)
-- Orange juice (I pour until I'm covering all the frozen stuff in the blender)
-- Whey protein powder (Half a scoop)
-- Candied ginger (one chunk for me... the pieces I have a pretty big)

Blend and enjoy! I tend to eat smoothies with a spoon so it takes longer and I feel more like I'm eating something.

It's not even that green! Maybe I'll do more spinach next time.

Note: I only use organic dairy products because I don't trust whatever hormones are put in the other stuff, but you can use whatever kind of yogurt you want. I also only use organic soymilk and I do not recommend using any non-organic soymilk (or tofu) due to the GMOs in non-organic soybeans. I also use organic spinach because it's one of the foods you should buy organic if you can, but obviously you don't have to.

1 comment: