Thursday, January 27, 2011

Oscar Wilde Thursday

For a couple of months (ish) on Thursdays, I've been posting Oscar Wilde quotes on my Twitter account. I don't know why I started doing this. Maybe it's because he has a whole lot of quotes to his name, and I find most of them to be really funny and/or thought provoking. 


Or it may be because I was researching e-readers for Christmas (and I got one - thanks, Dad!) which brought me to Amazon to look at the Kindle which brought me to the way-too-expensive Kate Spade canvas covers which brought me to her The Importance of Being Earnest cover:




Isn't it gorgeous?


Anyways, I have loved the play The Importance of Being Earnest ever since I helped created part of the set in high school. My mom was the props master at The Arts Center on Hilton Head Island (I know it's since been renamed, but I don't know what it is now... Coastal Carolina Performing Arts Center or something), and I helped stuff newspaper in chicken wire to create a hedge that was painted green. So I had that connection with the play before I even saw it, but seriously, it is one of the funniest shows. I love playing with words, and it's total wordplay! If you haven't seen this play (or even if you have), you should rent the movie version with Colin Firth and Reese Witherspoon. Or grab a copy and read it!


So after the longest tangent ever, I think I am going to continue with my Oscar Wilde quotes on this blog. Twitter is fun (I got on it for work, actually, and then easily got swept up in its 140-character updates), but I'd rather flesh out my reasons for some of the quotes I'm feeling that week.


I'm going to start off with my absolute favorite quote from him: 
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars."
Vincent Van Gogh's The Starry Night

Okay, so the quote is a little cynical. But it's kind of nice, right? Because it gives you the chance to choose to be the "some of us." If we're all in the gutter, are you the one face down in sludge and the dark? Or are you keeping your face up towards the sky, open to the light that will surely come in the morning and all the possibilities that light may bring?

No comments:

Post a Comment