Monday, January 31, 2011

Raleigh in the spotlight for the NHL All-Star Weekend

Raleigh was taken over by hockey the past few days. For months I've stared at a huge banner advertising the NHL All-Star Weekend (and advertising some Carolina Hurricanes players) hanging from one of the downtown high rises. I'll kind of miss that banner now that it's over, but at the same time I'm kind of happy I'll be able to take pretty sunrise photos without it getting in every shot.

So I didn't go to the All-Star game Sunday, but I did watch it from the comfort of my own home. It's funny how hockey players are pretty much the only guys in the world who can be missing a tooth and still be attractive. I'm looking at you, Alexander Ovechkin (right). 

I was bummed that Team Staal (Eric Staal from the Canes) lost 11-10 but was still glad the attention was on Raleigh last weekend. 


Because hockey fans were visiting for the game, we made friends Saturday night with a group of guys trying to find someone from Canada to buy a drink for. They asked me because I was holding a can of Labatt Blue (a Canadian beer... the only one I drink when I'm at Hurricanes games, by the way), but my friend actually is! So my girls and I won that game. Bonus!




On Friday night at the free concert downtown, I snapped this photo of fireworks behind the City of Oaks light mural on the back of the Civic Center. It's about the only time I like to see it red (for the Hurricanes! I'm referring to N.C. State red versus Carolina blue.). I just think it looks so good, especially at night. And what is it about fireworks that makes everyone stop what they're doing and stare into the sky? They're really a powerful thing!



No comments:

Post a Comment