Thursday, March 24, 2011

Spring Awakening

I totally missed the first day of spring a couple days ago! So I'll celebrate today with this Oscar Wilde quote:
"Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go." 
Something about that makes me think of the coming of this great season. Spring totally brings me joy and happiness as the sun shines longer, and I can comfortably sit outside in a T-shirt, jeans and flip-flops without getting too hot so I can soak up some Vitamin D (with sunscreen... most of the time!). At this point, winter leaving also makes me happy!




Two weekends ago, the musical Spring Awakening came to Raleigh. I was lucky enough to win tickets from the nOg Running Club I've mentioned. I'd heard about this show years ago (and really wanted to go when it came through Atlanta while I was still living there), but I honestly knew very little about it besides the fact that the Broadway production (which won several Tony awards) starred Glee's Lea Michele... that's why Jon Groff played the special Glee guest role as Jesse... Lea and he were lovers in the show.


Anyways, I was blown away by the music (by Duncan Sheik - remember him and "Barely Breathing") and especially the lighting and the set! It was only in town for Friday and Saturday nights, and we went on a Friday, and I was a little disappointed that there were so few people in the theater.


My two guesses as to why that was:
1. No advertising. I had no idea this show was in town, so if I hadn't won tickets four days before, it would have come and gone, and I'd have never known.
2. It's got some adult content... but so does Rent and that definitely sold out many shows in Raleigh.


Here's a clip I found of the original Broadway cast performing three mash-ups from the show for the Tony awards in 2007.





Again... I'm so happy spring has sprung!

No comments:

Post a Comment